Thursday, June 01, 2006

THE CONSPIRACY THEORY
I have the most interesting coworker.I dont want to call her paranoid or overly cautious in her behavior, but it is weird. She is of the opinion that the more people know about you the more power they have over you. This is true to an extent but when you start trying to protect yourself from every possible thing, is when you get caught up in the conspiracy theory.
Example she has a son. If she had her way people would not even know she had a son. She doesnt want people to know his name or his age, or if a coworker asks about him in school she gets very defensive and very upset and starts speculating on why someone would want that kind of informaton. Her rational is that a person only asks for information if they plan to use it. in a work place envioronment where other people have children too it is very likely that people talk about there children and inquire out of kind curiosity, she doesnt see it that way.
Now i am a very open person if you ask me anything you are very likely to get an answer. But then i start to wonder if i am too open. I dont want to get caught up in that kind of behavior, but it is necessary on some level to protect oneself. i dont give out private information as a rule but other details about my life, as far as i am concerned all people can do is talk about it and that generally doesnt bother me. People will find something to say about you antway so you might as well give them the truth so they dont have to make things up (and that is assuming people know you exist).

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Simone said...

Welcome Oh Enlightened One to our world :D
Let me just advise u to keep a certain distance from this co-worker because one day you may be attacked when she becomes sure u are out to get her :S
There is such a thing as being too open but u have to let some ppl into your life at some point because we all impact each other's lives significantly.

10:30 AM  
Blogger bassChocolate said...

Welcome Ms-If-I-Were-Really-Enlightened-I-Wouldnt-Have-Joined-The-Rest-Of-Theses-Idiot-Bloggers.

I feel very much like you do on this topic. I'm very open- sometimes I wonder if I'm too open. But the problem with your coworker is that she's insecure. People can't use things against you unless you allow them to. So they know I have a child... so what? What they choose to SAY shouldn't really affect me significantly. And that's as far as they can go- saying something.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home